Every year the road to the Fittest on Earth (crowned at the end of the CrossFit Games) begins with The Open. The Open is a series of 5 workouts that are open to the entire CrossFit community, with both an Rx and Scaled division. All are encouraged to sign up for The Open (games.crossfit.com) before 8pm EST on Monday March 2nd. Whether or not you are formally competing in The Open at Solace, here is what you need to know:
CLICK HERE for the Solace Open Leaderboard.
1) Solace 2016 CrossFit Open T-Shirt/Tank Top. These are available by PRE-ORDER ONLY. The deadline to buy is this Friday (Feb. 19th) at 5pm!!! Don’t miss out on getting your Solace swag to rock the Open. To order, click HERE.
2) Thursday Night Throwdowns. Every Thursday night from February 25th, 2016 through March 28th, 2016 we will be having viewing parties for The Open Announcement Event. At 8pm we will broadcast the Open Announcement Event on the White Board, watching the workout be completed by some of the best CrossFitters in the world. After the announcement event (approximately 8:30pm, depending on how long the WOD takes them), two of our very own Rx Division Firebreathers will tackle the workout. UPDATE: Downstairs, the 7:30pm CrossFit class WILL be held, but the 8:30pm will not be held during the Open.
Our Thursday Night Throwdown participants are as follows:
- 16.1 on 2/25/16: Battle of the Beards – Hunter Lyon / Danny Hueser
- 16.2 on 3/3/16: The Engine Trophy – Pete Edgar / Tyler Kimball
- 16.3 on 3/10/16: The Beautiful Cup – Brandon Brooks / Kenny Santucci
- 16.4 on 3/17/16: Lady Coach Cup – Lauren Bass/ Sofia Leguizamon
- 16.5 on 3/24/16: Battle of the Blondes – Ari Hurst / Colby Levin
3) Saturday Open Workouts. Every Saturday at Solace the WOD for all CrossFit classes will be the Open workout announced that week. All members may sign up for these classes in advance as usual. Due to space constraints, drop-Ins will not be allowed to sign up in advance for these Saturday classes during Open Season. Those registered for the Open will be able to officially complete the event during these classes as the classes will be split into heats with one group judging the other. Note you do not need to be a certified CrossFit Judge to judge others for these Open workouts. The Lead Coach for these classes will go over all movement standards and judging responsibilities before the workout. Those taking class on Saturday do not need to hand in their score sheets at the end of class unless they are a registered competitor in The Open.
4) Completing Open Workouts On Your Own. If you are registered as a competitor in The Open and cannot make it to class on Saturday, you may perform the workout on your own provided you have a judge present to count your reps and insure proper movement standards are met. If you are choosing this option, make sure you obey all Open Gym rules and policies
5) Sunday Open Gym Extended. Open Gym is available on Saturdays from 2-4pm (except on February 27th when the basement will close at 2:45pm) and it will also be expanded during Open season on Sunday to run until 3pm. You can use this time to get your Open workouts in, but you must adhere to all Open Gym rules and policies.
6) Judges for the Open. Judges for those competing in the Open do not have to pass the judge test (this test is only required for Affiliate Owners, those wishing to judge video submissions, and those wishing to judge at Regionals).
7) Scores for each open WOD must be submitted by each competitor online no later than 8pm EST the Monday after that Open Workout is announced. Failure to submit scores by this time will result in no score for that workout. When you submit your scores you will need to enter the name of your judge. If your judge is in the CrossFit Games system (either as a competitor or judge), then their name will auto-populate the field and you can choose them. If they are not in the system, this is ok (see #6 above). Just type their full name in and submit.
8) Validation of Scores by Solace. Solace as an affiliate will have to validate each competitor’s score once they are entered by the competitor into the CrossFit Games website in order for the score to appear in the rankings. As an affiliate we have until Wednesday night to finish validating all scores and given the website issues that typically crop up, it make take that long (or longer) on any given week. We will validate them as quickly as we can, but please realize there may be delays beyond our control.
9) Tips & Trends for 2016. Finally, be sure to check out Coach Lauren’s article with tips and trends for the 2016 CrossFit Open by clicking HERE.
If you have any other questions send me an email.
Hayden-William Courtland, Ph.D.
Head Coach & Manager, CrossFit Solace
President, Solace Barbell Club